Foojay Podcast #26: The Future of Source Control and CI/CDJune 26, 2023
As developers, we like to automate the boring parts of our job. This automation includes the source control system, build pipelines, and code analysis tools.
In recent decades, we have seen evolutions from CVS to Subversion to Git. Is this the endpoint? Did we find the holy grail in version control? Or what evolutions are waiting for us?
Let’s find out together with these fantastic guests…
This is the final episode of season 2 of the Foojay Podcast. See you in September for the start of our new season with more JUGs, the launch of Java 21, and much more!
- Trisha Gee (Gradle)
- Ixchel Ruiz (JFrog)
- Pierre-Étienne Meunier (Pijul)
- Host: Hanno Embregts
- Production: Frank Delporte
- 00’00 Intro and introduction of the guests and host
- 04’15 Should we automate as much as possible to be able to focus on developing
- 06’33 The human factor of developer productivity engineering (DPE)
- 10’23 PEs view on automation and how changes in law books follow the same approach as “code diffs”
- 17’02 How you can struggle with your version control system
- 26’33 How Pijul tries to solve these challenges
- 33’24 Patches versus branches versus trunk-based development and how to switch from branch-approach
- 44’09 What could be improved to version control systems
- 50’16 Why are still so many people using Git
- 01h02’02 Looking 10 years into the future
- 01h13’30 Outro