Foojay Podcast #20: Functional Programming, “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”April 24, 2023
Functional programming... it seems you either love it or you hate it.
But, like everything in software engineering, it is a trade-off.
So for today, let's focus on the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of functional programming!
- Alejandro Serrano, Software Engineer at 47 Degrees, author of "Practical Haskell", "The Book of Monads", and "FP Ideas for the Curious Kotliner"
- Deepu K Sasidharan, JHipster co-lead, Java Champion, Staff Dev Advocate @ Okta, Java, JS, Rust, Cloud Native Advocate, Author, Speaker
- Host: Ties van de Ven
- Producer: Frank Delporte
- https://foojay.io/today/7-functional-programming-techniques-in-java-a-primer/ (Deepu)
- https://foojay.io/today/the-problem-with-functional-programming/ (Ties)
- 00’00 Intro
- 00’17 Introduction of the guests
- 07’40 What is functional programming (FP)?
- 11’50 The same problems exist in FP and Object Oriented Programming
- 13’50 Academic approach to programming
- 17’54 Who of the guests is a FP purist?
- 22’25 Understand the “Why”? Why use FP?
- 28’11 The costs of FP
- 30’57 When to learn FP
- 42’43 What is the future of FP?
- 50’41 Outro
Related ArticlesView All
7 Functional Programming Techniques in Java: A Primer
There is a lot of hype around functional programming (FP) and a lot of cool kids are doing it but it is not a silver bullet.
Like other programming paradigms/styles, functional programming also has its pros and cons and one may prefer one paradigm over the other.
Foojay Podcast #19: How Working For Free For Fun Brought Me Fame and Fortune – Or At Least Some Of Each – In The End
Many developers spend a lot of their time on side projects. It’s an opportunity to learn new techniques and get involved in communities. But sometimes it can also lead to a new job.Read More