Foojay Podcast #12: State and Future of the IDEsJanuary 23, 2023
In this podcast, we are talking to some of the key people working on different IDEs, Integrated Development Environments.
Those are applications that provide tools to computer programmers for software development.
An IDE typically consists of at least a source code editor, build automation tools, and a debugger.
Let's learn how these tools evolved, and the challenges they face to stay up-to-date with the many evolutions in Java and all other programming languages.
And what we can still expect in the future!
- Helen Scott (IntelliJ IDEA, @HelenJoScott)
- Martin Lippert (Eclipse, Spring Tools Lead at VMware, @martinlippert)
- Nick Zhu (Microsoft VSC, @nickzhu9)
- Geertjan Wielenga (Apache NetBeans, @GeertjanW)
- 00'00 Intro and music
- 00'15 About the topic of this podcast
- 00'45 Introduction of the guests
- 04'14 What is an IDE?
- 07'15 Apache NetBeans as a community project
- 08'20 About the community around Spring and Eclipse
- 11'28 OSGi in Eclipse
- 13'21 How JetBrains build a company around IDEs
- 17'43 About Java within Visual Studio Code and Microsoft
- 20'55 Foojay posts about IDEs
- 22'21 Spring Tools development for IDEs
- 27'32 IDEs on small platforms
- 29'42 CodeWithMe in IntelliJ IDEA
- 31'37 On-line editors
- 33'15 Main benefits of the different IDEs and what is coming in 2023
- 46'07 Conclusion